Saturday, September 15, 2018

Semusing #15 - Debate

It is an average weekend in the household, The man of the house is donned into the pretend play of a farmer in the modest backyard with the two rugrats trying to participate in the game alongside, while I do my mundane chores with a renewed enthusiasm. Most of the debris from the demolition is swept out and though the floors look raw and incomplete, the toughest part of the redo is done with. I celebrate with a cup of ginger tea on my functioning 'brand spanking new' stove top and grab a book for company.

The preteen comes in with a proposition. "There's a carnival going on in the park - we should go take some rides and eat funnel cake" She beams. "Let's see" - I answer, feeling nauseous at the mention of rides and funnel cake - both of which I do repel, to put mildly.

"Do you see the mess we are surrounded by? Go pick all the books that you want to donate and put them in the laundry basket" I make a futile attempt to sidetrack the idea of going out into the crowds.

"You know the phrase I despise the most?, Let's see"

"Which phrase?"

"Let's see - duh!" That is so confusing and on the fence. You are never direct and to the point. I demand a yes or a no"

"Well, let's see - I have a Let's see or a no. You can pick one"

"Not fair" She pouts "Give me a good reason to say no"

"Well, I'd been in a mess for two weeks now. I need to get things in order so I don't continue to be in a mess for two more weeks and we'll be done with rearranging the house by the times the new floors come in. I don't think I can afford to hang out in the park and take rides today"


"But it is not fun without you" She pleads.

"Let's keep our funs separate dear. You go have fun and don't force me into something that isn't fun for me. I can accomplish a lot by skipping the carnival. Besides, you know, I don't enjoy even the smallest of rides"

"You are a kill joy mother" She ups her ante into coaxing me.

"I am tired darling. I don't take well to the smell of the grass and all that park has is acres and acres of grass. And imagine hundreds of people out there. I am in no mood to make small talk with a hundred people I know that I might run into"

She starts laughing.

"Don't flatter yourself mother, You don't know a hundred people. You at the most know five. And three of them would stay home avoiding the crowds anyway, just like you"

The dad breaks into an uncontrollable chuckle.

"Okay, okay" I start laughing too. "I don't want to come out and say hello to the two people I know"

She lifts her hands up in the air and gives up. The trio go on their outing while I work indoors like an energizer bunny. Ah, the bliss of being left alone :-)

But I make a mental note. There aren't a hundred people waiting to say hello to me. May be next time, it'll comfort me enough to make that weekend trip to the super market. For now, it is I, me, myself and my musing number fifteen :)

1 comment: