Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Day 9 - I for I am Inane




Here I am, on the ninth day of the fourth month, tackling the letter I. Lately, a part of this I are Bessie and Matt. I am supposed to reconfigure them, pep them up, revamp them, re envision them but something out there gets in here in the brain and I am keep second guessing if this is really a good idea or I'll be the idiomatic "Laying an egg" being demonstrated in action.

But that is how this messy mind works. Thus the need to meditate. Meditation is simply doing nothing. And it is not just literally but also figuratively as in not thinking. I was asked to do this simple exercise of keeping a watch on my thoughts for a minute. I was yet again, (truth be told, I can never get over)stupefied over my bandwidth of inanity. Thoughts are supposed to expend the vital energy. It's all confusing right? There was a time when I thought my thoughts define me. There was a time, just in the recent past, when I had such great pride in multi tasking - until I realized, there isn't something called 'multitasking' - while I listen to music and sketch, I am either sketching or listening to music. Though both are being done at the same time, the mind shuts off one task to a mechanical level and the other to a conscious level. There could also be a third scenario, where in both the tasks get mechanical and the mind wanders into the lanes of the past or future, carefully replaying or imagining a thing bygone or a thing that might never come into being. 

Sigh...what simplicity. Do nothing. Think nothing. Stay still. practice Silence, a commodity that is increasingly endangered in the modern day bedlam. 

I try. I flex my 'doing nothing' muscle so it builds the strength to mitigate the tricks of the mind. 

By the way, illustrated is the very first draft of the comic strip I wanted to sketch today. I'll revisit this with some conviction and seriousness and precision and intent.

For now, I am in the eternal haste to jump from one thing to the other, do two three things at a time and feel all galvanized by the trickster mind. But then, I'll flex my intent to shut it and let the Source take over.

Reminder to self - It is all inside. Sub vocalization, thinking, analysis - such over rated stuff! For now I'll go and do nothing. Let's see how that aids the doing of the right thing.

As simple as it sounds, Doing nothing is the toughest thing to do out there. Try it for yourself and see if you can shut that pesky mind off for five minutes, or even one.




No comments:

Post a Comment