Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Bananas at Large

A few springs ago, a friend of mine sent a link to a page one of her friends created for her craft website. It was all intriguing and interesting for the creative side of me, but what really caught my attention was the title. It was as off beat as it could ever get and I for once rejoiced in the offbeatness of it that resonated with my own. The title in question was "Elephants remember" and it had the cutest doodle of an elephant underneath- now how do we align this with the thoughts of a crafter's mind? I am sure there's a story behind it. I don't remember asking for it nor putting in the grey matter flex to figure it out like I normally do - but the quirkiness of the title stayed with me, in a way aligning with me more than what it was intended to align with.

I find this whole naming thing very riveting. Right form the moment we are born, we are subjected to it, like we need to put a title to every thing we see, feel and have. It is simplifying in a way and logic defying in another and kind of distracting if I examine it from the new spiritual glasses I had acquired and it is nothing short of amusing in a whole different way,  this quirk of nomenclature. For the longest time I had an identity crisis. My parents' choice to recycle my Grandmother's name didn't sit very well with my sensibilities..but then, no one checked on my sensibilities anyway. An aunt of mine always used to opine that the name we give someone or something makes a huge impact in the 'feel' they generate inside of us. And then Shakespeare came up with the "A rose is a rose is a rose...' sentiment. All said and done, names are a huge deal. A possession we have all our lives that we are constantly reminded of and I think they are the spaces where one can express oneself in the way they wish to be expressed.

I once spotted brand names so unconventional that they require a whole book explaining their coming into being. I spotted a watch company named "rumours" a clothing brand named "vertigo" and a jewelry brand named "Suspicion" - Go figure. I don't really intend to know why they called themselves as such but it would sure make up for a great conversation starter if someone divulged the story behind such names. But the most recent additions in my carefully curated list of quirky names is "Bananas at Large" - I spotted this business driving past the downtown of Marin county and let out a chuckle thinking of a bunch of bananas, hand in hand, running for their lives. It looked like a big establishment and from the facade, I guessed it to be a grocery store. But guess what? This title takes the Oscar for the most unusual name ever...The business actually deals with Musical instruments - those grand pianos that call for a wad cash equivalent to the down payment of a home, guitars, ukuleles, drums etcetera etcetera etcetera.

Bananas at Large - Phew! if that isn't some personality in naming, I don't know what is. Now I can only wonder what I would have named myself if I could have named myself.
Scarecrow at the bar? Dory's Siamese? Lock stock and two lousy blogs? If you get the drift...

But Bananas at large, by and large are going to haunt me till the day of my death.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment