Saturday, April 20, 2019

Day 18 - R for Rolypoly's correspondence

(addressed to yours truly)


Dear one,

I hope this finds you in good cheer and pink health. I am not really concerned about your health much, except for the fact that your unladylike sneezes in the spring weather, especially when you loom over me, so close to comfort, amplify in my eardrums and cause much agony.(Now, You might not see my ears in and please don't look for them next time you encounter me) It is getting warm out there, and I hope to see more of you, or may be I don't. I am undecided. It is endearing and annoying at the same time that you don't seem to get over my speck of an existence when there are probably bigger and better things human species pursue with their time and energies. I am sorry if it so implied to you that you should find better things to do with you time than to carefully examine me every time you find a free moment and me on the side walk, coexisting, while you do your so called brisk walk! Oops again - I mean, how am I qualified to talk about brisk walk? while all I seem to do is amble around, aimless and lacking momentum. Now I am no steed like you probably know. But once I roll into that little pebble like form and you gently tick me back and forth, I probably move like a steed alright. Reckon? Or it is a far fetched misconception?

It gets funny when you try to focus on me, looking through the lens of your smart phone. You folks parade around with it like it is riveted to your hands - no judgement here - but I find it ever so slightly ego inflating when I see the intelligence that is built into me that doesn't run on an iOS or needs any downloading of apps or connections to the internet. I appreciate your looking intently at the walk way to dodge my brethren sharing the path and the lovely weather with you though, as we don't have a shield against being crushed. I know you are enamored by me and I have to confess that I feel a slight brush of jealousy when you look away when that more radiant ladybug lumbers by. She is pretty alright - shocking red, polka dots and all but I dare her to curl into a ball when disaster strikes. Geez - I address a human and I somehow start emoting like one. Pray when did feelings like jealousy creep into me? Let's stay clear of those useless shenanigans. They don't serve me much - all I need is the cue to self defense and voila, I am a complex intelligence manifesting into a beady little thing that amuses the likes of you to no end. Isn't that a worthwhile, accomplished existence? I know you'd whole heartedly agree. And do you notice? Once you leave me alone, I spread right back into action and go my way, without calling foul and trying to play out a doom and gloom sob story out of how you make my defense mechanism into a pastime. I feel this whole narrative we weave into everything that happens to us is the biggest disservice by us, onto ourselves. May be I conveyed it to you already without getting so elaborate, standing on my soapbox. So, gather what you may out of your endless fascination for me. I know you are the one that needs to write me some fan mail - but guess what? I am in a mood to give today. In a mood to please. I know you like letters and you like me. So what can be more pleasing to you than a letter from me? May be a letter from me with some sprinkles of wisdom and a lesson or two in living life? 
That, your species is in dire need of my dearie. Let them know as my message. I might be a meager critter, but when we are open to learning, we probably open portals into the most unlikely of sources. We coexist after all - and thank you for the attentive audience to my discourse. Tomorrow when you walk by, please tuck away that smart phone in your pocket and snort some nasal spray. You'll be more present and perhaps, you can pick a cue or two to live that life of yours better.

Much love dearie and see you soon.

Your partner on this path,
Mr.Rolypoly








1 comment: