Friday, April 03, 2020

A-Z April - Day 3 - C for Comfort


Day 3 rolls in - and I was kind of bent upon making this a spiritual theme. But there was this ponder that was making its rounds in the thought corridor as we stay at home, sheltering in place and I seemed to have realized how much of an integral part 'grocery shopping' was in my life.

I'd always taken great pleasure in browsing the isles of the grocery store or the farmers market, more than I had in any other kind of shopping. The act of stocking my pantry, labeling my jars and filling the crisper of my fridge with fresh greens and lush veggies was always a very gratifying thing to do. All this of course is because of the love Moi feels for cooking. Lately, as all the outings are restricted, I realized how much I miss my grocery store, In fact I miss it more than I miss seeing people outside, more than I miss taking a stroll in nature or more than I miss the introverted ' alone time' I have when the spouse and kids leave for their routines. It gave me a wonderful opportunity to trace this 'missing grocery shopping' to the root of it all which my love for  cooking, that has become hands down, my favorite hobby of all.

I wasn't an early bloomer in this department. My first tryst with learning how to cook commenced in my late teens, when my lil brother's friend's mom kind of intrigued me with her home making and culinary skills. This aunt in question was this conventional home maker, that had a model of a kitchen and spent copious amounts of time planning her shopping and cooking routine like a pro project manager. Her everyday was an adventure in thinking up special meals for her husband and three sons. It helped that this aunt had a special love for me, owing to the fact that she probably always wanted a daughter and I probably filled that void in her life in some way.

Every evening after I was done with my routine, I would walk to her place that was in the neighborhood. She used to wait for me in her balcony and flash a welcoming smile once she spotted me. "You need to learn to cook well. Young ladies these days are so full of degrees and career that they miss the life skill" She used to dispense her wisdom as she'd instruct me how to shell green peas and grill perfect pav buns on the stove top. It greatly helped that this aunt was from
west India and cooked a cuisine entirely different than the one I was used to eating at home. Thus, my first foray into the wonderful world of gastronomics had commenced and there was no looking back. And I do have Auntie Mrs. Bherulal to thank profusely for the foundation.

My mom, being a great cook and host herself, always forbade us from entering the kitchen and helping her. "You have a life ahead of you to toil in the kitchen" She'd say "Enjoy your mom's food for now".  So I didn't do much learning beyond what I did in the aunt's house I mentioned before. It was in my  infant years of the second decade that I found myself in the Land of the free and the brave, managing my own household, playing the homemaker I'd always pretend played as a child. High speed internet and search engines were already a thing in the US and they supplied the second tier of lessons to the quickly evolving young chef. It took me very little time to realize that cooking was something I found great joy in doing. "It is such a nurturing hobby" I used to think to myself as I wasted no opportunity to have friends over to play guinea pigs to my new recipes and experiments. I initially had a recipe box, index cards, clippings form better homes and gardens and the whole shebang to support my hobby. As time passed and as I gained confidence and approvals of my supporting friend gang that were willing accomplices to polishing the food I created, the intuitive part of me kicked in and my hobby became a full blown obsession.

Now, when cooking is your hobby, but of course the detail loving side of you emerges and evolves as well. And in no time, I had gathered enough interest and inventory in fine china, cutlery, cooking utensils, kitchen gadgets and serve ware. My hobby branched into all directions as all these nuances of it enhanced my love for cooking as I aged and time passed. Slowly and steadily, cooking became an expression of sorts. It is almost as cathartic as writing or reading was before I discovered cooking. No matter the time, mood or the theme of the day, give me a well stocked kitchen and I can cook away till someone intervenes and stops me. I also realized that I particularly cook when I feel sad or low. It magically takes my mind away from a loop of negativity and as I create the edible works of art (I'll call them so myself, cause I have a very moderate , 'I'll eat to exist' kind of spouse - LOL and I am not used to him telling me what works of art my culinary creations are) I feel an immense sense of accomplishment and relief and my day transforms to the better.

No matter where I am or whom I am visiting, I invariably find myself in their kitchen, almost urging them to let me take over if they do not do it by themselves (Though I should admit, I more often than not have  happily consenting friends and family when I offer to cook) and escape into my wonderful world of cooking and feeding. My spiritual master Sadhguru Shirdi Sai said that food is the other form of God as it is life giving and sustaining and the act of sharing food is the act of sharing life. I think somewhere deep down, this tidbit of wisdom made a deep impact on me, and it is His grace that the way and the want to cook had emerged in my humble life and have become an integral part of who I am.  I don't like parties but I love hosting crowds of close friends in at my place. When I invest all that time thought and effort into making a special, elaborate spread, I feel and radiate love and life and revel in the smiles and satisfaction of my guests. 'No one leaves my home hungry' is my motto of life. Cooking and feeding gives a very literal dimension to the very abstract emotion love and I feel blessed that I love to cook.

Once the sheltering in place is lifted, I promise myself that I'd cook more and spread the love beyond my kitchen and my little group of friends and family. I'll enjoy and be more present in my grocery shopping trips and I'll live more, love more and create a storm of comfort, care and connect with my yearning to cook. If you are in this part of the world, Please stop by and knock on my door. I'll be more than happy to make a meal for you :)

Pictured - a spread I cooked for my dearest friend and her people.

No comments:

Post a Comment