Monday, November 11, 2019

101. And counting.


I had been hit by the block lately, Eversince the recording of the hundredth blog for the year, there's a mental slack that kicked in despite desperate measures to keep at punching the key board to take the tally a notch up. I have about seven to 8 blogs marinating on random topics that might or might not see the light of the screen. This morning, I had wiled a chunky portion of my productive morning hours squinting at the screen, nodding my head in disbelief at the kind of stuff I was typing out and holding the backspace to make it run a reverse marathon to obliterate the said horrors of the said musings.
Some still wait in hope to be salvaged and published but we'll see....

In the afternoon, being the screen nazi that I am, I didn't let the second born watch any tv. It's veterans day and a long weekend for the rugrats. While the first born paced the entry way, looking every bit like a Ted talker and practising her mock 'Ted talk' for a language art credit which kept her busy and off my back (Don't ask me if she sounded like a Ted talker as well. The talk is about "being present" by the way - yeah - Charity, clarity and all that mighty lofty stuff begins at home, or I hope they began at home in this case atleast ;)) the second born found novel ways to keep herself busy, once in a wile pouting and begging for some screen time.The pleas were promptly dismissed.  Around after lunch I started feeling bad for her when she was entertaining herself talking to the fresh white mums in the vase. It occured to me that I'd never really hung out with the second born by herself - so Her and I decided to go have some ice cream at the nearby plaza and wile some more time, but ofcourse in a funner way than raking head over passable ponderable musings.

The usually independent and "I can take care of everything by myself" Kiddo came and held my hand in a firm grip once we parked our car and got out to walk to the ice cream shop. "Let me hold your hand amma, cars can come and scratch people in parking spaces" she offered her wisdom and caution.I took this moment to hold her small, warm hand gently in mine. I was suddenly pondering about the comfort and security a simple holding of hands could offer. As if the universe wanted to resonate and validate my thoughts, I saw people holding hands everywhere - a young father walked past us, holding both of his daughters' hands and a teen couple crossed our paths with entwined hands, to a point where they looked conjoined. I let out a smile thinking of the manifestation of this simple, loving gesture. But the hand holding that really caught my eye was the senior couple's. These beautiful people were walking just a couple of feet before us. I saw the interlaced fingers, the way they stepped forward in unison - wondering if the choice of their red and blue outfits is in some way meant to commemorate the Veterans today. Just as I swooped my phone out to capture that tenderness on my lens, the lady stopped and turned back. She put up her foot on a nearby fowerpot and restrapped her sandals. We made eye contact and she smiled. 

For a second, I was disappointed that the hand holding came undone and wasn't sure if they would resume again. Sure enough, the gentleman waited by his lady, with a eager hand out. She quickly grabbed it again on off they went on their unified stroll. 

I grinned. And then did a hasty click fest on the cam, making sure to filter through the outcome to choose the one capture that would preserve their privacy but freeze their affection all the same on my ponering space here in this virtual cosmos. 


I looked at them till they disappeared into the nearby coffee shop. And as the second born and I walked back to the car, I smiled at the tinyness and the warmth of that little hand in mine, as she gripped my hand tight and firm. I quickly snapped a picture of our hand holding, of the long skewed evening shadows ofcourse, in a selfie of sorts.



As I walked, I remembered a mystic's words I'd heard in the past - words that spoke about the power of joined hands in the "Namaskaram" pose the hindus make as a greeting. In the same speech, he spoke about how when we hold our own hands together, would connect and balance our own divine masculine and feminie within. 

"Do the right things with these control panels" he offered.

And what more can be righter than holding another person's hand - in love, companionship and security!


No comments:

Post a Comment