Thursday, September 06, 2018

Semusing #6 - Unidentified Baggage


I am all beaming today, cause the musing came in an unexpected package and with a metaphorical aura. As we put ourselves through the daunting task of a kitchen remodel, I am greeted with more than my plate could contain. First off, I had to empty all the cabinets and then find place to stow them away. Now, moi isn't a hoarder - but moi isn't a minimalist either when it comes to my kitchen. My substance abuse problem manifested itself into larger than life proportions. Well - I appoint a little bit of exaggeration when I say that, but the ones who know me probably know how rooted my identity is into my home space with special reference to my kitchen. My material acquisitions in both the foster land and home land are primarily the ones that are used in different surfaces of the kitchen and dining area - pots, pans, trivets, ladles, spoons, dessert bowls, china, fine china, bone china, porcelain china, enameled cast iron, crystal ware, stainless steel,  etcetera etcetera etcetera....I have a situation here - a compulsive desire to cook and feed people. Cooking to me is cathartic, life giving, inspiring, unwinding, relaxing, spiritual and a lot more adjectives that elude me as we speak. So, the stuff that aided cooking and feeding came tumbling out  figuratively, out of the literal woodwork, and out came many good intentions, mostly put to use - but some were grossly neglected. Some were buried into oblivion and were discovered only when I reached into the unfathomable corners of some ill placed cabinets..I got a good inventory of what's needed and what needed to be purged but there it was, this little message in a bottle of sorts - sealed meticulously, sporting the look of an intoxicant, contained in an unusual size - unlabeled and mysterious.

This is not the first time I spotted this bottle. I did before and showed it to the spousal unit, wondering how in the world, it forayed into my kitchen space without my knowing. "What is this thingie?" I flashed the bottle to him and asked and we speculated around what it could be. It didn't look viscous enough to be honey, though it looked the same hue. It didn't look like wine either. We looked at each other figuring out what it could be.

"Reckon it is one of your lotions or potions?, some essential oil may be? A cold pressed exotic blend for the muscle pains?" We had no clue what it was and we were reluctant to give up on it and chuck it in the garbage. What if it was liquid gold? May be it is some magic potion that could make us billionaires. You know the drift right? We cannot just toss stuff that way when it looks like it could be precious/important. So I carefully tucked it back into one of those less accessed drawers and left it there. To marinate or to age into an antique until it surfaced again.

This time around, I kept wondering to myself how this has ended up in the kitchen cabinet of all the places. We bring every thing into our homes ourselves - some consciously, some sub consciously may be! Do we bring them in and then forget them? Neglect them? I was in for my usual spin, rummaging through the senseless to find a treasure of sense. "Unidentified" I thought. Something that could have been important if we know what it was. May be we bring in so many such things into our hearts and minds as well and then just forget about them, or worse yet, hoard them while cluttering our minds, reluctant to let go because they should be, could be of use sometime, someplace, somehow. Until one fine day we either magically know what it is or just leave it behind. If it is tangible, the kith and kin might toss it out upon our departure from the earthy realm. Why do we tug on to things that don't serve a definite purpose? why do we hold on to things that need to be let go?

I have no answer for that. May be we should just let them go...it might clear up our homes and hearts for things that we need and want.

The bottle in question, I intend to open and inspect. I might get a better idea of what it is and if it serves any end and then keep it/toss it. But I wish I can examine the intangible, unidentified baggage that I carry around in my inside and unclutter my being so I optimize my function from the insides.

Operation clarity for me Operation eye roll for my blog following brethren :-)

1 comment:

  1. //May be we bring in so many such things into our hearts and minds as well and then just forget about them, or worse yet, hoard them while cluttering our minds, reluctant to let go because they should be, could be of use sometime, someplace, somehow.// Isn't that just so true.
    This was definitely Operation Clarity for me!

    ReplyDelete