Sunday, January 03, 2010

Day 3 - Holding on, letting go!

My expandable trinket bag was a pretty peacock blue, with a full blown peacock feather on the front and a zipper that expanded it from half inch to 4 inches to tote toiletries, hair bands, travel supplies etcetera. The inside had a mesh pocket opening in the center and a flap with loops for lip glosses, tooth brush, q tips and such. I was very fond of it. Enough to have hid it from the eyes of my niece who seems to have my kind of fetish for all girly things. She kept asking for it time and again and I kept postponing saying I'd give it to her once I head back home - secretly hoping she'd forget about the bag by the time I make that homeward bound trip.

But she didn't forget. And I had to let go of my pretty bag, albeit forcefully.

During my last trip to India, I had a similar situation with my mom except that I was in the receiving end. I insisted and fought to bring home with me a cute little gift box containing ylang ylang incense, patchouli and Jasmine scented candles sculpted into pretty little roses and miniature incense holder with hand painted elephants rising their trunks - sounds pretty. Isn't it? And the box in question migrated from my sister's stash to my mothers, so fairly enough my mom resisted giving it to me but finally gave in.

We all seem to have things we cannot let go of - favorite bags, junk jewelry, collectibles or even less valuable day to day stuff like our magazines and Tupperware that you use to send the neighbor your homemade cookies. We all seem to get attached to non living things like our houses, clothes and stuff and overlook the broader spectrum of things that actually matter like a little girl's smile when she gets a much coveted make up bag or a friend's eyes lighting up when you let her keep the handbag she borrowed.

I saw the Movie 'UP" where Mr. Fredricksen, a balloon salesman, uproots his whole house in search of an unfulfilled adventure he plans with his deceased wife. Finally he takes a U turn, loses his home and his dream adventure to unite a giant bird with her chicks. "It is just a house" He exclaims when his house falls off.

Stuff remains stuff. We don't bring any of it when we come to this world, we shall not carry any back with us. There are things to hold on to, things to let go - and sooner or later what matters the most is how we feel and how we make others feel and not what we have.




No comments:

Post a Comment