Thursday, February 05, 2009

Acceptance.

Just the other day, I was catching up on Entertainment E! television while flipping channels to find Barney and I saw a program about plastic surgeries on celebrities. Ashley Simpson's nose job was highlighted and then there was this hoopla about how Ashley said she was comfortable with who she is and how she looks time and again till she got her nose chiseled. And then, voila, Ms.Simpson has this perfect profile:-) and she stopped talking about being comfortable with herself (owing to obvious reasons!)
I look at people around me and also at myself - we all seem to have things, physical things - that we'd change about ourselves. My sis G always wanted to be a tad bit fairer since everyone back home used to tell her that she and I look exactly alike except for her darker skin tone :-)) I used to tell her (honestly) that I'd trade my complexion in a blink for her perfect nose. (and I seriously don't understand why people think we look alike - I think I am a mediocre version of her, no false modesty or inferiority complex here - just telling things as they are)
S wants to be a little taller, another female S wants to get rid of her "pear" silhouette. Another S wants a better nose, P wants a fairer skin tone. K hates the "apple" bod. Another female S ( I know my life is full of S es...Phew...! No pun there!) hates her heavy arms. A thinks she is way too short. T hates her thighs. S (again) thinks she has a weird mouth and chinky eyes. U loathes her nose. R wants a head of hair real bad. A hates her butt and K hates his height.
So anyway, the point here is that we all have our own vanity and at least one thing that we'd like to change about our appearance. We take aid of cremes, knives (in extreme cases), braces, trimming undergarments etcetera and satisfy partially our efforts to look perfect. I am sure Aamir khan would have loved to be a little taller, Shahrukh would have loved a better nose and Sridevi...well, did she not surgically enhance her nose? So the so called perfect stars have their share of pet-peeves too about the way they look.
How does it matter if our teeth are not aligned perfectly and you are balding thanks to your maternal granddad and uncle? How does being a darker shade of brown or wearing a bigger size of pants matter? Does it to the people around you? Or does it matter to the person in the body alone? I never look at a bald guy and go..."how would he look with a full head of hair?" No, not even when I look at Akshay Khanna. I think he looks hot with or without a full head of hair. The other day I saw a pic of the yesteryear actor Kirshna wearing an obvious, dense and obnoxiously black wig that stood out like an eye sore. I'd have appreciated him more if he'd acted his age.

A few years ago I fixed a little gap in my front teeth. Ever since my permanent teeth came out, I always loathed the un-alignment of my otherwise tooth-paste commercial perfect teeth. The day I fixed it, I was so glad and couldn't stop admiring my perfect smile in the mirror. But looking back, I miss my little aperture. It probably made me more cute - more believable, human and one of a kind. I got over that thing I wanted to change and now I seem to hate the way I gain weight on my face. My chipmunk cheeks as I call them are dying to get back my high cheekbones exposed and the distinct jawline out. I know, we are never happy cause we are way too vain! My cheeks never make a difference to my hubby. He thinks I have a cute, child-like face. My lil girl tells me time and again that I am very pretty. (though she just repeats to me what I tell to her!)
I wish to be like Rajni Kanth - his own self off screen and very comfortable being who he is. I wish I would like myself, accept myself that way I am made - one of a kind, unique and special - apertures, chipmunk cheeks and all that:-) I wish. I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment