Friday, February 15, 2008

Repeat.

I thought I'd blog about something that can flirt with your mood. Cajole it to change colors when it sprinkles a heap of melodious notes on your state of mind. Make your heart twich with pain or flutter with pleasure. So instead of stringing blah words that fail to grasp the magic of eternal music, I'll try capturing the soul of some of those melodies (I may fail, but shall do it neverthless) that repeat on an electronic device. More importantly on my senses.

Five for fighting - superman (it's not easy)
Something about John Ondrasik's vocals is brutally addictive. To believe me, run don't walk to youtube and listen to one of his songs. This is the kind of voice that can make the pressure cooker burst because you place it on the stove and foget to turn it off after two dozen whistles (nope, did'nt happen to me. I never risk pressure-cooking while listening to him - LOL) The keys on the piano in this song makes one feel the God-consciousness in oneself.

In Lamhon Ke Daman Mein - by the one and only Rehman bhayya sung by Nigam Bhayya. A combination conspired in heaven to bestow upon the human kind, the magic of a good compisition paired with a voice that can vibrate to capture the conscience of the composition. The lyrics sound like most of those bollywood lyrics but the melody is like never before. Just when you are in a state of euphoria Madhushree's voice breaks in like maple syrup on a hot fluffy pancake and your tastebuds pine for more. The song has Rehman written all over it with traditional 'tillana' kind of chorus and delicate drum beats. I think I hear something like a Jal tarangani in the orchestra. Pure joy. Nothing less!

Sami Ninne - Sankara Bharanam set to adi tala, composed by veenai Kuppaiyer.

The first one I'm getting to study. If classical music is not meditaion to seek the inner light, my knowledge fails me to understand what is. when the windows to the world close and give the ear drums a chance to do some seeing, the deepest emotions from the inmost of my being rise and gather like mist under the veils of my eyes. Believe me, It happens every time I listen to a well sung classical composition. And I mean every single time. Sankara Bharanam when sculpted in the voices of Bombay sisters floods the ambience of my soul, it gives me a glimpse of the cosmos in the form of a fluid melody. I try and fail, repeatedly to tread the twists and turns of this raga. Presently, I give up recreating the magic in my voice. I am probably way too impure to aspire so high. My limitaion notwithstanding, I am truly blessed to have an ear for divinity in the form of melody. Truly blessed!

1 comment: