Saturday, April 30, 2005

Maggie cuts her hair.

Any ICSE students who passed out ICSE during 1992-1998 will know what I am talking about.
I do not have a photographic memory, but Maggie, straignt from my seventh grade english text, was a living, breathing character for me back then.
"maggie cuts her hair" was an exerpt form a book called "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot. I wish I'd remembered the actual name of the author. George Eliot is her (yes, HER) psudonym.
So Maggie and her Brother tom and a bunch of aunts and uncles and her dad came into my life one pleasant morning. Our english teacher Ms. S taught us the lesson in an unforgettable way. This little girl maggie attempts to cut her hair(and actually succeeds with the help of her Brother Tom) She just does it not to look good or anything, She does it for validation, for making her uncles and aunts and her family think that she was clever.
I realted to Maggie. I probably did a lot of things for validation, for approval and for impressing others. Does everyone do it or is it just me??
Anyhows, Maggie left an impression on me. I still remember her form late early 90s and I think I will for sometime to come.
Now I know what I need to read next - "The Mill On the Floss" by George Eliot.
I know it is going to stir a lot of childhood memories, and that should probably generate a lot of nostalgic blogs.
Maggie sets her impression on a 12 year girl, long enough to sustain it through her twenties, by just cutting her hair. I wish it were that simple to make a lasting impression on someone's mind.

1 comment:

  1. We still do a lot of things for impressing others.We mimic maggie in many ways
    -lahari

    ReplyDelete