Friday, January 02, 2009

There's something about Ash.


I think I'd spent enough time trashing Ash and loving the likes of Shobaa De, Suhasini and Russell Peters to have agreed with me about what they thought of Ash's acting skills. I still want to hold that opinion about her acting skills, but for once I have decided to look at Ash and not hate her for what she cannot do. Instead, I'll look at her and love her for what she has achieved.

Somehow light eyes do not go well with me. May be they do if the eyes in question belong to one Mr. Roshan. But light eyes and ladies with light tan complexions are a bad combo. So I looked at Ash and thought - she is washed out! I looked at her smile and thought, it is too crafted, I looked at the way she giggled and thought, it is too forced. I looked at the way she settled in the Bachchan household and thought she is way too smart. So, since resolved not to judge anyone, I took it seriously and looked at Aishwarya like I'd look at my own elder sister and Lo and behold, she actually is a woman that all women should be proud of.

When did we come across a thirty five year old actress who is not yet demoted to character roles? (discount Sridevi, she is exceptional) When was the last time we saw an Indian woman's face in a global magazine? Well, may be there are some women who won international acclaim but I failed to notice them. The last time I was in Shanghai airport, I stopped and stared at a hoarding of Ash - promoting L'oreal mascara, and felt that Indians are finally making their mark. Then suddenly I am reminded of her acting skills and I force myself to hate her. I went to Walmart one day and bought Aishwarya's lipstick called something like Aishwarya's beige. It gave an immense sense of achievement that an Indian face made mark on the side of the likes of Halley Berry and Kate Moss. I look at her international projects - The Pink Panther for instance and I forget that she is a poor actor and just focus on the long way she had come without any Godfathers in the film industry. We see and accept Shahrukh romancing leading ladies half his age, we approve Chiranjeevi shaking a leg with someone half his age and one fourths his weight. We live in a male dominated society, a male dominated industry and isn't Ash an achievement to all Indian women?

I get turned off by all the hoopla about her being the prettiest woman in the world - Like I said, I find her pretty but not strikingly or stunningly pretty. "You are straight - that's why" my kid bro offers me unwanted explanation. But may be I am just not straight (no pun intended) enough to give credit to where it belongs.

Aishwarya Rai is a role model to all Indian women. She made our country proud. She is the first international face India had produced. She has made it on her own. She is a bad actor but that is okay.
Yeah, that is really okay!

Ash, I think I liked you all these days. I was just a little hypocrite:-))

2 comments:

  1. Oh ash again!I would have liked her better as a model than as an actor.You know what I think ash acts off screen as well,none of her emotions are natural.Smarter than any ordinary woman not because she settled into Bachan family but because she made her mark internationally.Her plus points are her light eyes n features that look less Indian n more western

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all your blogs - this one really breaks my heart! Whatever may be behind those looks, the looks themselves are worth a kill. Your bro's right.

    Being smart isn't wrong, is it?

    ReplyDelete